Welcome to musicalstones.co.uk

The Musical Stones of Skiddaw are a set of musical rocks, which have been gathered together and worked into a musical instrument called a Lithophone. A Lithophone is a tuned percussion instrument similar to a xylophone. The rocks are set up in a piano keyboard configuration, with white notes below a raised row of sharps and flats (black notes on a keyboard). The instrument is 14 feet in length and weighs 1.5 tons. It was built in 1827 by a Keswick stonemason called Joseph Richardson from rare 'hornfels' rock found between the mountains of Skiddaw and Blencathra in North Cumbria, UK. (For more about the history and geology of the stones please click here.)

The Musical Stones of Skiddaw are currently housed in Keswick Museum and Art Gallery in Cumbria were they are available for the public to see and play. The Stones are also taken out to be played at concerts and festivals, and in recent years have appeared at various venues across the UK. The Stones have had many players over the years, including Evelyn Glennie, Brian Dewan, and The Musical Stones Players. (For more on The Musical Stones Players please click here.)